What I’ve Learned after 99 Movies (And a Book)

 I started this journey in October 2019 and it began rather harmlessly.  I went to the theater to see the movie Joker starring JoaquinPhoenix.  But something happened during that movie experience.  I saw something different than most of the people sitting in the theater that night.  Most, I suspect, saw a villainous DC comic book movie.  I, on the other hand, saw an indictment on the mental health system.  The movie caused me to have an emotional response to the character, the situation he found himself in, and alas, the violence that poured out.  I processed my feelings and put fingers to keyboard and wrote a Facebook post.  A post that would be shared, and shared, and…well, shared again.  My suspicion was that people wanted to “see” what I “saw.”  People wanted to experience what I experienced in the theater.

Fast forward three years, my associate (and friend) Michael and I have been doing a weekly podcast, called “Christ, Culture, and Cinema,” where we try to figure out how our life experiences and Christian faith interact with the art that is being shared on the big screen.  I have also written a book, Christ, Culture and Cinema:  How Faith and Films Intersect, which is available on Amazon.  Along the way I have come to realize that no reasonable movie can be dismissed because of a rating or content.  Art evokes emotions and feelings - and, if we are going to be faithful to our “mission” than we will engage that art right where we are.  Racism, sexism, family relationships, and love…hatred and kinship, sacrifice and freedom.  Mentorship and influence, ordinary and the heroic.  These are but some of the themes that we have drawn out of movies from every corner of the cinematic universe.  There are times Michael has experienced things that I simply did not see; and at other times I have poured forth a discourse that Michael was shocked I saw that in the movie.

As Michael and I celebrate and reflect upon our podcast journey, arriving the 100th episode allowed us to pause, reflect, reminisce, and celebrate this milestone.  Along the way I have added this blog spot to put down in the written word what we are sharing in the spoken word on whatever podcasting platform you find our little show.  All to say we want you to experience movies like we experience movies - with eyes wide open, minds willing to be stretched, and hearts desirous to deeply feel.

Here are some random thoughts we’ve picked up along the way for you to consider the next time you go to engage a movie:  1-When you choose a movie you have done so for a specific reason.  Maybe you want to laugh, cry, or be intellectually challenged.  Embrace why you have chose the movie.  2-Be open to how the movie addresses societal issues (whether you agree with the movie’s take on it or not!).  3-Did the movie cause you to engage more deeply with the art being displayed or did you simply find yourself entertained for a period of time?  4-Did the movie challenge your faith or deepen your spiritual understanding?  5-What did the movie leave you asking and did you find your faith asking those questions?  6-Did you find parallels in the story that align with your spiritual beliefs (as a Christian, I so often see stories in the Bible that are being re-wrapped in contemporary characters and situations)?  7-Does this movie serve as an amplifier for issues in the society and how can you address or speak into them?  And finally, 8-Does this movie lend itself to a deeper conversation with your friends and family - is this something you can share with them?

So, I will keep plugging away - watching movies, podcasting, and writing.  I have grown to love the art form and the feelings it evokes within my core.  I hope you find your way to the podcast, and it is my hope that you enjoy my take on the movies I write about (both here on the blog spot and in the book).  Maybe we won’t always agree - in fact, I am fairly certain we won’t! - but the fact that we can explore and consider how faith and films and culture collide is a joy that we can mutually celebrate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pastor's Kid - So This is What Real Life Looks Like?!

Shooting Stars: Perspective When Looking Back

Like Father: Forgiveness and Community is Far Better Than Division and Isolation